Friday, January 29, 2010

Kids and compost

Today both kids started school. The past few weeks my life was kids, kids, kids. I did not really have time to concentrate on anything else. Now I need to find other things to keep myself occupied. So what do 'mums-who-just-arrived-in-Australia' do on a first day without kids?

The past hour I emptied our new compost bin. At least I felt very productive and it was a good work out. I even discovered a few white worms but they are now dead. I had to empty the bin because last week we threw in a lot of long plant roots and I read somewhere that these will not rot easily so it's better not to put them in. I've thrown in a lot of things like eggshells and bread but these are now all gone. Did the worms eat everything?

We really need to concentrate on our garden. We moved into the house two weeks ago and the lawn already shows brown spots and some of the plants don't look that happy anymore.

For the kids we make a vegetable garden. Last week we put tomato and capsicum seeds in little pots and these already turned into little plants of about 2 cm. This weekend we will put them in the garden. Hopefully we can eat our own vegetables in a few weeks from now.

I'm very happy by the way with the choice of our house and the street. It turns out that all our neighbours have 18 year old daughters who are happy to baby-sit. Hoeree! Tonight we go out for dinner for the first time since I arrived in Australia. I look forward to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for your comment! Sandra.