Tuesday, January 5, 2010

I really miss my printer and scanner

Since end October all our stuff is packed in a container. Marcel brought two suitcases with him to Australia and I packed everything I need for myself and the kids in five boxes, two bags and two big suitcases. That's all and I'm fine with it.

This makes me realize how little I'm attached to the things we 'own'. There are only a few things we really need. Last week, I thought I would not be too upset if our container would sink to the bottom of the sea. I'm carrying my laptop with all our pictures with me so they won't get lost. Most of our furniture is easily replaceable and we carry around too much stuff anyway.

But today, for the very first time, there was something I actually miss: our scanner and printer. I had a nightmare day trying to make a scan and to print two other documents. At home, in India this would have taken me five minutes max. Today it took me about two hours to get, part of the job, done.

The PC and printer I tried were extremely slow. After trying for an hour, I decided to go to the public library. Gone are the days when you had a computer and next to it an easy to operate printer. This library put a very 'sophisticated' system in place. First you have to log in to the computer with a library card. Then you need to log out form the computer and log in again for the printer.

Sounds easy. Did it work? No. Ten minutes before school pick up time I ended up sending my files to the private email of a library employee who was kind enough to print the documents for me using her private log in. I still need to find a way to make a scan of the other document.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for your comment! Sandra.