Saturday, January 9, 2010

A very cold winter in Holland

When we arrived in Holland eight weeks ago I told my two children that they probably would not see any snow. This was disappointing because being an expat in India the children had never experienced a real Dutch winter. Snow in Holland is not very common anymore. On the Internet I even checked out the locations of indoor snow venues.

A friend of mine gave my 6-year-old a sleigh for his birthday in December. I noticed the surprised look on the faces of some of the guests at the birthday party wondering why you would give a boy a sleigh. Snow in Holland is not very common anymore and it was very green outside. The birthday was less then four weeks ago. The sleigh has proven to be the best present ever. We used it a lot, for pleasure but also out of necessity because on some days the sleigh was the most practical means of transportation.

We are now nearing the end of our ten-week-plus visit to the Netherlands. I'm sure the kids will especially remember the snow and the sleigh. With our stay in Holland, we wanted to give our children a better sense of what it means to be Dutch. I believe weather wise we have been very successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for your comment! Sandra.