Wednesday, January 27, 2010

School uniforms

Children in Australia can't start school without a school uniform. Today I had to go to the shop to buy uniforms for the kids. Total costs: AUD 382 without shoes. I guess it's all part of embracing Australian life. There are only a few schools where the children don't have to wear uniforms. At Castle Cove school the main color is dark blue, a very exiting kids color. In India they call these dark colors 'Énglish colors' as opposed to the bright Indian colors.

Being Dutch, I could never have imagined sending my kids to school in a uniform. I don't think it contributes in a positive way to the children's development. Yes, it's very practical as I don't have to have early morning discussions anymore about what the kids should wear. What about the development of their own personal choice? Kids are not the same. The way they want to dress themselves is an important way of expression. You can't go against that because children will then find other ways to express themselves. At least that's what I think..

I'm glad that my six year old is very pleased with his uniform. I don't think he realizes yet that everyone will look the same tomorrow. In Holland, Sebastiaan had a bright orange winter coat. It was very easy to spot him at school pick up. That will be different now when all the boys look 100 percent the same.

1 comment:

  1. Heel veel succes en veel plezier morgen op je eerste schooldag Sebastiaan, en mama herkent je echt wel hoor!!!
    Liefs tante Marlies

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for your comment! Sandra.