Thursday, January 7, 2010

Coping with difficult questions

When kids turn six, they enter a new phase: the question phase. I feel as if I'm constantly interrogated by my son Sebastiaan. Today we drove all the way to Amsterdam to visit Artis, the Amsterdam Zoo. Below I've listed down the questions he managed to come up with during lunch:
  • Do animals have nightmares?
  • How does black Pete turn black? (black Pete = the helper of Sinterklaas)
  • Why does a man from Africa work in this restaurant (the person in question was within hearing distance)
  • How do they make potato chips?
  • Are your grandma and grandad dead? (question asked by 4-year-old Julia)
  • What did the first 'peacock' look like?
Simply ignoring these questions does not work. Sebastiaan really expects an answer. When I don't know the answer, I tell him we will 'Google' it. My 6-year-old has a good memory and he does not easily forget what I promise him. I'm afraid tomorrow we will have a lot of 'Googling' to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for your comment! Sandra.