Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The 'pleasures' of renting a home in Sydney

I guess we are quite lucky with our house because it's in a quite area and we have a nice garden and deck for the Aussie barbeques.

Living in a rental home does have it's inconveniences though. You need to accept the house as it is because you can't make any changes. One of the problems I have is with the washing area. The floor in the washing area is very slippery and not straight and the washing machine keeps moving. Last week, when the machine was standing against the wall, I couldn't get any washing done because the machine did not finish the cycle because of an unbalanced load. I now moved it forward and I don't get the message anymore. Hoeree! The only problem is that the machine is now standing a bit awkward in the middle of the washing area. See picture.



Anyway, I decided to keep it this way because at least I get the washing done.

Another problem with a rental home is that you don't know how everything works. It's getting colder now so I keep the door to the garden closed at night. As a result the fire alarm went off everytime I was cooking. Very annoying!! The other day I got so angry (the alarm makes a lot of noise) so I just ripped it from the wall to make it stop. Luckily there were no kids in the room. This worked. At least that's what I thought. Silly me.



The next day a workman knocked on the door instead of using the doorbel. I didn't know why he did that but that didn't really matter.

Later that day I slowly started to realize what I had done. Instead of destroying the fire alarm I had completely destroyed the mechanism for the door bell. To stop the fire alarm from going off, all I needed to do was to take the batteries out. Oeps. So we now don't have a door bell anymore and we have an inspection of our house on May 25. Oeps again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for your comment! Sandra.