Sunday, March 28, 2010

Another Saturday in Sydney

I just finished another round of clearing out the garage where it is still a mess. After two days work, I achieved that it's possible to enter the garage without worrying that I break a leg or worse. It's a small step but an important one!

This morning in the shopping mall, after chatting with an Indian cleaner, my six year old asked me why only Indians do the cleaning in Australia. Mmm. Good question. I guess it is the same anywhere in the western world. In Sydney you see lot's of Indian working as cabies, supermarket staff, and cleaners. All low paid jobs.

This afternoon we go to the beach. We bought body boards for the kids and now we need to wait and see how long it will take them to 'ride' their boards the Aussie way. I saw an ad for a one day course for adults. It will be fun to do this but also very exhausting.

Last but not least, tonight we will turn off the lights for the Earth Hour event. I look forward to that. Tomorrow we 'celebrate' another Australian invention: 'Neighbour Day'. On neighbour day everyone needs to be extremely nice to their neighbours. Perhaps we will even say hello to them.

Marcel just came back from shopping with some new garden goodies. He bought for me a 'schoffel' for the weeding. I noticed on the label that the Australians call this a 'Dutch hoe'. Ha, ha.

1 comment:

  1. Earth hour, in Amsterdam gingen in Artis en op Schiphol de lampen uit. Restaurants serveerden diners bij kaarslicht. The place to be! Bij de Van Beekjes stond deel 2 van Millenium op, Earth hour is totaal aan ons ....voorbij gegaan.

    Leuke blur trouwens op je nieuwe lay-out!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for your comment! Sandra.