Thursday, December 10, 2009

Sinterklaas and Santa Claus confusion

This morning before school, my almost-six-year-old son Sebastiaan, interrogated me about Santa Claus. Who are his helpers? What about the presents? Who wraps them? Does Santa Claus really exist? How does Santa Claus deliver the presents? How does he get into the house? I had a hard time answering his questions. I gave vague answers but my son did not accept that. He just started asking more questions. Yes, I had a really though morning…

Last week, we celebrated the Dutch equivalent of Santa Claus in the Netherlands. The name of the Dutch Santa Claus is Sinterklaas. Although the two characters look different, the concept is exactly the same: they both visit children’s houses at night to give presents. Santa Claus puts the presents in a stocking and Sinterklaas and his helpers put them in a shoe.

Dutch children are supposed to believe that Sinterklaas really exist till they are six or seven. As a tradition, all Dutch parents are supposed to lie (sorry, there is no other way to put this) to their kids and make them believe that Sinterklaas is a real person.

I just don’t think it’s very credible if I make my son believe in Santa Claus the same way as with Sinterklaas. But when I tell that Santa Claus does not really exist and that it’s only legend, he will start wondering about our Sinterklaas story and I don’t want that to happen… HELP.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for your comment! Sandra.